Question regarding security deposit return

Places and prices. Info on where to stay in Bangalore. Ask the members before you buy/rent house or land in Bangalore.
Perplexed

Question regarding security deposit return

Post by Perplexed »

I am vacating an apartment in about 3 weeks in the first week of next month and notified the owner little later than one month in advance. I currently pay Rs.7500 for rent and paid Rs.50000 when I moved in. When I asked him how much security deposit I will be returned, he told me that he would deduct Rs.7500 for previous month's rent, Rs.8000 for painting/cleaning charge and Rs.4000 for staying till the first week of of the month. So total of Rs.19500 will be deducted from deposit. In my understanding, even if I leave in the fist week of the month, the rent is calculated on daily basis and not half of the rent. Plus, I only stayed here for one year and Rs.8000 for painting/cleaning fee seems to be too much. Would someone tell me how much the owner should deduct for painting/cleaning and a rent for just one week from deposit? Thanks in advance.

Umangg

Re: Question regarding security deposit return

Post by Umangg »

Another victim :( of a crappy land lord.

I do not know what you can claim .. but its high time you stop paying more than 2 months advance while occupying a house in Bangalore.

Read this thread:

Code: Select all

http://www.talkbangalore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=910
Seems there is little you can do now. Ttry to convince the landlord, or atleast his/her children who might be educated and may be having some brain :lol:

Perplexed

Post by Perplexed »

In hindsight if I knew that the owner/local politician is so greedy, then I should have avoided this place. A former tenant said that a check she received as deposit return simply bounced once. Cunning seems to be a small compliment to this owner.

Arion003
Expert
Expert

Post by Arion003 »

Is there anything in your lease regarding the painting deduction? If not, you can perhaps negotiate with him not to deduct anything or a substantially smaller sum since you have only stayed there for a year. On the pro-rata rent, yes, you must certainly calculate it on a per day basis.

Also I didn't quite understand why he has deducted a month's rent? Is it because you didn't pay the rent? Or is it just because you terminated the lease? If its the latter then you need to really take it up with this guy cause its just grossly unfair.

See, in case of a dispute you can always send him a legal notice and then go to court or atleast threaten to. Making a lot of noise about calling the police and going to court can sometimes cause such shady landlords to relent and pay you more than what they would have originally intended. Going to court in all honesty is a tedious process but if you are up to it then by all means do it.

If you do want to pursue the issue seriously, then approach a lawyer and get a simple legal notice drafted on the lawyers letterhead, this can cause owners to pull their socks up and react.

Perplexed

Post by Perplexed »

Thanks.
Although there is no mention of painting deduction in rental agreement, it says that if there is any damage that will be deducted from the deposit. But I have not damaged anything in the premise, so I may be able to argue that point to the landlord not to deduct painting fee.

Second, a month's rent will be deducted from the deposit because a lessee is supposed to pay the rent at the end of the month (at the beginning of next month) here.

I certainly considered taking a legal action against the landlord. But I also imagined if I'd take a legal action, since this landlord is a local politician, he might hire local thugs to harass me or something just might happen to me. I'm also guessing that local authority is on his side. By the way, he's a poster boy on a campaign poster at Udupi Garden junction in BTM and several places. (for privacy I will not name his name)

A few people came over here to see the apartment recently. They are told that the rent is now 8,500 and they have to make a deposit of 85,000. Rent hike is more than 10% after a year and he's now asking for 10 month deposit. Local law should prevent steep rent hike such as this case in order to protect residents, but ironically a local politician will not let that happen when a crooked landlord is himself a politician. I just wish that people should avoid this place.

Arion003
Expert
Expert

Post by Arion003 »

Yours situation is a complicated one. This is what I recommend:

1. Go talk to your landlord. try and reason with him. Perhaps there is some sense in that head of his and he will relent a little more than you expect. You have nothing to lose;

2. If this doesn't work or you think he is truly unwilling. Since you are a little reluctant about action against this gentleman since he is a local politician, what you can do is after you have moved out and after he has paid you whatever portion of the deposit he pays back, you can then send him a legal notice. There will be no need to mention your address on it, you can use a lawyer and his chamber address as your correspondence address.

3. Post the address of the property on this site so that atleast this address is out there and people looking for homes can see what they need to avoid. Infact we may even contemplate a separate thread for this, lets see.

Hope this helps.

Himanshu

Post by Himanshu »

Perplexed wrote:3. Post the address of the property on this site so that atleast this address is out there and people looking for homes can see what they need to avoid. Infact we may even contemplate a separate thread for this, lets see.
Atleast this you can do. And is will help a lot of people visiting this forum for rentals related help.

Perplexed

Post by Perplexed »

The address of the apartment is
#68/14 20th Main Road (Near Gangothri Circle)
BTM 1st Stage, Bangalore

Property broker has a shop on the ground floor. It's called Chandra Real Estate. The property broker is a manager of this apartment.

I advise you to avoid this place.

Satish123

Post by Satish123 »

I have met same kind of owner. Please don't go for the house in the following address. you will be victim of paying lot of amount for paintings.

# 608, 4Th B main cross
OMBR Layout
Banasawadi
Bangalore.

Post by Guest »

I have been face with similar owner, charging 50,000/- as deductions from advance

BN Shivashankar

80, EAT Street,
Basavanagudi
Bangalore-4
near Puliyougare Point

Arion003
Expert
Expert

Post by Arion003 »

Perhaps the moderator can be kind enough to start a separate thread titled "Avoid renting out these places" or something similar so that we can have a database that can act as a rental warning list for people visiting this site.

krishnappasvictim
Just Started
Just Started

Post by krishnappasvictim »

I second the previous responder's suggestion. Landlords who don't know how to behave and dare to swindle money out of tenants should be taught a lesson. We are living in a parliamentary democracy which has a legal system, isn't it? As you people might have guessed, my ex-landlord [Krishnappa, Satya Sai Layout [behind Satya Sai General Hospital], Whitefield] has refused to pay back my deposit of Rs.50,000/- He is known to have defrauded other tenants, too. What can innocent tenants do to stop this practice of cheating?

Victim_34
Just Started
Just Started

Post by Victim_34 »

krishnappasvictim wrote:I second the previous responder's suggestion. Landlords who don't know how to behave and dare to swindle money out of tenants should be taught a lesson. We are living in a parliamentary democracy which has a legal system, isn't it? As you people might have guessed, my ex-landlord [Krishnappa, Satya Sai Layout [behind Satya Sai General Hospital], Whitefield] has refused to pay back my deposit of Rs.50,000/- He is known to have defrauded other tenants, too. What can innocent tenants do to stop this practice of cheating?
Hi Friend,

I am also a victim of this Krishnappa G. who is staying in the below address.
#11, Sai Layout, 3rd Cross, Behind Sathya Sai General Hospital, Whitefield, Bangalore-66

As we have made the rent in time and asking back the security deposit is not a crime.

Please get in touch with me the below number we will decide what we need to do further.

->9980564408

Thanks

Hemant Behera

Post by Hemant Behera »

You have hundreds of options before you..

1.Go to a police station & lodge an FIR against the landlord.

2.Let me tell you very clearly no politicians can do anything to you if you are not against the law.

3.After registering the FIR..Call some media houses & write an article about your trauma.

4.Go to the HUman rights Comission & file a complaint.

5.Moral is harrass the scumbag as much as possible.

Victim_34
Just Started
Just Started

Post by Victim_34 »

Hi Hemant,

Firstly, thanks for your valuable inputs and support.

As you suggested, we can go and talk to the cops, but it is a Civil case (not a criminal case) unlikely they will take an action. We will proceed with sending a notice first and I have done so...

I would request any of the friends who are the victim of this Krishnappa G. will meet together and Call some media houses & write an article about your trauma.

Please call me for the above mentioned number.

Thanks,