The outlawed auto-drivers on Bangalore streets!

Share the day-to-day problems encountered in this city life. Let's find out solutions.
Senthil

The outlawed auto-drivers on Bangalore streets!

Post by Senthil »

Auto drivers seem to create the maximum of problems in Bangalore. Where should we start?
  • They drive very rash driving. And hitting anyone on bike or on foot, their brotherhood (other auto drivers) tend to support them.
  • Most of the times not ready to go for short distances or to the places where they do not want to go. I think they are legally supposed not to deny for any place and a fine-system is also there if they deny to go somewhere. (I remember I saw this on a signboard by bangalore traffic police. please confirm and reply)
  • They literally torture the newcomers to the city by asking very high fares and cheating by taking them round-round on the streets. And further if the new-comer is a foreigner, he is lost!
Many more issues. Please suggest how to curb this!

I can not think of anything other than the police hitting the defaulters on the road itself infront of public.

Doc
Expert
Expert

Nicely pointed out

Post by Doc »

Bangalore autowalas are sick. On my very second day at Bangalore I had paid the auto-driver Rs. 150 for some 10 kms. Do not ever enter the auto unless you know the road. Take a 20rupees daily-bus-pass and travel.

Another thing, do not forget to see the meter has been completely reset to ZERO while starting. last week, the autowala reset the meter and after some 50-100 metre distance, the reading became 12.50 (default is Rs. 12.00 for the first two kms, newcomers!). Though he again reset it properly after I pointed it out, I am still trying to figure out how it happened.

And who told about the rule against denial-of-service? I face it daily at BTM where autowalas demand 30-50 rupees to go to bannerghatta road (3 kms). Now started travelling by BMTC bus. (Thanks to the two persons at office who advised me for that. :D )

shreya
Knowing Better
Knowing Better

@Senthil

Post by shreya »

"I think they are legally supposed not to deny for any place and a fine-system is also there if they deny to go somewhere."

I dont think we can force anyone to go to some place against his wishes. Still dunno abt haywire traffic rules. Somebody please confirm on this.

Also the autowallas have no concern watsoever for any rules on overtaking and speed. The other day a friend of mine was overtaken by a speeding auto so rashly that his side mirrors hit the overtaking auto and his bike fell. Something immediately has to be done to curb this menace.

SSingh
Knowing Better
Knowing Better

Rule is there

Post by SSingh »

Yes, according to rule, they can not deny service. but no one cares.

Cyphor
Knowing Better
Knowing Better

Unauthoritative Authorities

Post by Cyphor »

Currently, there are over 70,000 auto-rickshaws in Bangalore and we are still counting. Among the city's massive population of school drop-outs, rogues and small time rowdies, keeping an auto-rickshaw is a common occupation. No wonder, we people are scared of these rickshaw drivers. Almost all of us have suffered under their hands at one time or the other.

I am a native resident of Bangalore and know the city well. I always dictate the rickshaw drivers the route to the destination I am traveling to before I board the rickshaw. Thus, I escape from being robbed. But, there is always a cause of concern with them. These days, no rikshaw driver lets you board the rikshaw without a bargain. The meter is there, but only for the sake of it. The drivers always demand an extra of Rs.20-50 on top of the meter fare. You either agree to pay them that or you mind other mode of transport. I would rather prefer going by a bus rather than deal with a rogue rickshaw driver.

I remember having seen a bunch of rickshaw drivers forcefully lifting a young man's luggage who had just alighted from a tourist bus in early morning at Lalbagh West Gate. The drivers made him get into an auto by clear force. The young fellow must have had emptied his pocket that morning for the auto fare.

And yes, what's more annoying is the road behaviour of these drivers. They drive like maniacs, making other vehicles to halt or crash. There is simply no code of driving for these rickshaw drivers. And in case there is an argument, there will be several other rickshaws who will stop by and stand for their fellow driver even if the driver is at fault.

Rickshaws in Bangalore are a major cause for chaotic traffic and accidents. And not that the authorities do not know. But, no one is capable enough to come down heavily upon these drivers, either because of political reasons or sheer negligence. The civilians have no choice but keep making unyeilding reports and complaints. Afterall, that's what civilians are for - to vote politicians to power and then watch them make money. No political party in India is going to serve people.

Deepa
Expert
Expert

Avoid auto ricksaws

Post by Deepa »

I will tell avoid travelling by auto. They should learn a lesson. Some passengers like us are responsible for all this. Never pay a single paisa more than the meter reading. Try to travel by bus.

devishetty
Just Started
Just Started

Re: The outlawed auto-drivers on Bangalore streets!

Post by devishetty »

Hi

In Bangalore (maybe i could safely say in most of India too) we have an habit of asking the auto driver if he could take us to some place.
I always notice this when i happen to travel abroad, I end up asking the Taxi driver if he would take me to a specific place before entering his vechicle,I realize my mistake when the driver gives me a surprised look.

when will the system of just asking the driver to take you to some place come in practise here, We do not need to ask a driver if he is ok with taking us somewhere. Ideally you just sit in and tell him to take you wherever you want as long as the place is within the city.

Doc
Expert
Expert

Post by Doc »

devishetty wrote:Ideally you just sit in and tell him to take you wherever you want as long as the place is within the city.
Completely agree to this. There is a fine system (atleast in the rules for Auto drivers here) that they can not deny service to any part of Bangalore. Infact, 2 months back when the auto charges were hiked, the authority was also found saying that the "denial of service" law will be strictly adhered to.

However, there has not been a single incident reported of the use of this law. Not even a display board anywhere in the city saying about the rules, point of contact and the amount of fine. (earlier I saw one display board near Domlur). High time to get that rule followed strictly. May be someone can just find-out the related procedures and phone numbers for such complaint.

A strict vigil for erring autowalas for even a month will make the difference.

sashi
Just Started
Just Started

Post by sashi »

does anyone know how to go about this .... i have been in bangalore for almost 5 months, and it is almost impossible to use the public transport at every location and i end up taking the autorickshaw.

And this happens , they either charge 50-150 rs extra and their excuse is because there is too much traffic or night charge or he wont get a passenger.
These are the incidences
The other day i refused to pay him extra and he hold my collar,
One time i told the driver i travel this road everyday and you are charging me extra, he told me to get down if you dont want to and which i did and after that he charged me!! and so on it goes, and trust me they are not afraid of the cops and their union is too strong for a normal passenger like me to say anything.

i have a list of all the autorickshaw no's, does anyone have a clue where i can or someone i can give the list to.

luckyb56
Just Started
Just Started

Post by luckyb56 »

Recently I came across http://excessfare.com seems like someone is trying to do something about these auto drivers. Best part is you can complain using sms too! I have already started using it... I have been harassed by auto drivers of bangalore. If this site will help to reduce such problem, it would be a great help for community.

Janani

Post by Janani »

Bangalore auto drivers are sick. they even carry acids to threaten the commutors

bublu

Post by bublu »

This pathetic situation with Bangalore autos is jut because of the corrupt traffic police department. They are busy collecting bribe and forget the task of checking auto drivers about excess charge and service denials :evil: