Nokia N95

Latest gizmos in the town. Cell phones, laptops, PDAs and all. Show-off, review and buying guide.

shreyasvista
Expert
Expert

Nokia N95

Post by shreyasvista »

Features

Yes! Yes I know it’s totally loaded with features. But allow me to hit on the ones that are most used by you guys these days. Let’s start off with the display. You have the choice of using the display either in portrait or landscape mode. If you slide out the media keypad the phone automatically switches to landscape and opens up directly to the quick menu page. So if you're watching videos or just listening to music or surfing the net this makes it real comfy for viewing. Think of it like a mini widescreen monitor.

Business Features

From the business end the N95 has Quickoffice installed for viewing Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. Now there is catch though. All the files you view are strictly read-only. You’ll need to download the upgrade to edit the files. The phone also has a PDF format viewer and zip software which I presumed was meant for compressing files but it’s only meant to open zipped files. But it’s a Series 60 OS so you can pretty much download software for compression if you really need it.

What I really like most about Nokia phones (mostly the N series) is the Active standby mode. Although it does crowd up your main screen, it comes in really handy if there are reminders or schedules to keep since it shows up right there on the main screen.

Aside from these features, the N95 has the basic functions of keeping notes, schedules, reminders, a converter for various purposes, a calculator and for some reason a bar code reader. We weren’t able to figure how to use it and what purpose it actually serves, till we checked up and realized this is not something we can use in this country. So why include it for a country that can’t use it? But what it should have had instead, is a business card reader, which the N95 doesn't have. Now that would have been really handy!

The N95 also has the function of voicing out the callers name for incoming calls and you can also use the voice command function to activate various other functions in the phone. But this isn't exactly new. A lot of the older models including the 3250 has that option.