Bengaluru International Airport (BLR) has replaced the old HAL airport of Bangalore. The new airport is situated approximately 40 kilometers outside the Bangalore city. It has started operations since May 2008.
Arriving at Bangalore Airport
Domestic passengers, once de-boarded from the aircraft, will reach the first floor of the airport via aerobridge. You can use the escalator, elevator or stairs to reach the baggage claim area that’s located on the ground floor.
If you are brought by bus from the aircraft to the Terminal Building, you will directly reach the ground floor. You can proceed to the baggage claim area from there by following the “Baggage Claim” and “Exit” signs.
International passengers will directly proceed to the first floor via aerobridge. Please use the escalators to the pathway on the second floor which leads to the immigration check area. Follow signs for “immigration” and “international baggage claim” and “exit”.
Visa formalities can be completed at the immigration check area on the first floor. You may take escalators or stairs and proceed to the baggage claim area on the ground floor.
Customs check of hand baggage is also situated on the first floor, immediately after the immigration counters.
Depending upon the duty items you are carrying, general customs check after the baggage claim is divided into two channels:
Green Channel – No goods to declare for customs.
Red Channel – Goods to declare for customs.
(Note: Officials may request you for a baggage check, even if you are using the Green Channel.)
Inter-flight transfer of Passengers
Domestic arrival and transfer to a domestic or international flight:
Your baggage will be directly sent to the connecting flight. So, you do not need to pick up the baggage at the baggage claim area. Please proceed to the Departure Area on the first floor, complete your security-checks and proceed to your gate for departure.
International arrival and transfer to a domestic flight:
If you are an arriving international passenger, follow the signs for immigration and complete your immigration formalities and customs check for hand baggage on the first floor
Collect your baggage from the baggage claim area; pass by the red or green channel to the Arrival Hall
You may then proceed to the check-in area and follow the standard procedures for starting a domestic departure.
International arrival and transfer to an international flight:
If you are an arriving international passenger taking an international connecting flight, proceed to the transfer facilitation desks in the immigration hall before the immigration counters to change or re-issue the boarding pass, if required.
Follow the signs for security check point and proceed to the International Departure holding area.
Transport to/from Bangalore Airport
- Prepaid or metered taxi from the airport to the city center costs around 800 rupees ($20) one way. There are prepaid taxi counters just before you leave the terminal building. Taxis wait in front of the terminal building in the designated area.
- You may also consider taking the airport shuttle bus service operated by the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation. These air conditioned Volvo buses are scheduled to depart every 15 minutes to/from various locations around the city, and cost 100-200 rupees ($2.50-$5.00) one way.
BMTC contact: 27607989 (call from Mobile phones) / +91 7760991269.
Facilities at Bangalore International Airport
- Wi-fi internet is available for free in the terminal building. Users will need to get a password sent to their mobile phone.
- Porters are available to carry luggage.
- Restaurants and food and beverage counters offer a huge variety of items.
- Multiple money exchange counters and ATMs are available.
- There are number of shops and duty-free outlets in the shopping area inside the terminal building.
- Courier and India Post counters are available.
- There are also airline lounges and a sports bar.
- Separate access lane for passengers with special needs. Airlines also do provide wheelchair assistance.
BIAL Airport Contact:
(91)80 2354-0000 for Bangalore airport.
(91)80 6678-2251/2255 for 24 hour general and flight inquiries.